Monday, November 9, 2009

Kolb Essays

Hi there,

I thought I would share a format for a type of essay that is a part of my education.
It's called the Kolb essay, and it goes something like this:

Concrete experience: In this section you would share about the actual experience you had/took part of. River rafting, Team building, sky diving, mourning a loss, etc.

Reflective observation: This is the part where you share what you thought about the experience. Things you noticed, what caught your attention, and so forth.

Abstract Conceptualization: Here you present quotes and paraphrases from books and articles that would support your observations.

Continued learning: Finally you end the paper with how you can see this experience/learning being of some use in other fields.

That's all I know. I think I'm going to start posting all of my blog posts in this type of a format.

2 comments:

  1. I attended a Dale Carnegie course few years back. Each week all students were required to give a 2 minute talk. It was this format that was require for the talk. After all the students spoke, one student was single out as the best for that night.
    Funny observation- Speeches with a sad theme generally won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned a similar formula for public speaking in a Dale Carnegie course. Its a effective way to communicate ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy this post? Let us know.